Last updated: January 2015.
The types of information held by us
- “Personal information” is information or any information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
- The types of personal information held by us includes the following (as well as other information):
- full names, date of birth, email addresses, other contact details, residential and mail addresses, gender information, occupation details, demographic data and other personal information provided by individuals to us;
- employment history and educational qualifications;
- account login information, including usernames or passwords allocated by the iCollege or used by you to access our products or services;
- academic results and academic records;
- disciplinary records;
- details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries;
- student fee liability to the iCollege;
- any additional information in relation to you that you provide to us directly through our website or indirectly through our website or online presence through our representatives or otherwise;
- information you provide to us through our support centre, customer surveys or communication with our representatives from time to time.
- financial information such as credit reference information and credit card/banking details;
- personal identification such as driver’s licence, birth certificate or passport;
- data obtained from third parties such as government entities, recruitment agencies and contractors and business partners.
- “Sensitive information” is information or opinion about an individual which is:
- personal information which is also information about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional trade or association, membership of a trade union, sexual orientation or practices, or criminal record; or
- health, genetic, or biometric information about the individual.
It is unlikely that we will collect any sensitive information about you other than information about your membership of a professional trade or association. In the event that it is necessary for us to collect any sensitive information, we will only collect such sensitive information about you with your consent, except where we are required or permitted by law to collect your sensitive information without your consent.
Ways in which we collect personal information
- We collect personal information:
- wherever reasonably practicable, directly from the individual with respect to whom the information relates;
- when you apply/register as a ‘member’ to use our products and services, register for a course and/or access/update your student/member records;
- through our website;
- through publicly available information services (e.g. social media, internet records);
- through referrals from entities, bodies and individuals;
- if we are required to collect the information by virtue of legal or regulatory requirements;
- when individuals participate in competitions or surveys conducted by us (or third parties, on our behalf) including, but not limited to, surveys relating to the quality of our services provided and surveys relating to education/iCollege matters;
- If we receive unsolicited information about you that we have not requested, and if we determine that we could not have lawfully collected that information under privacy law if we required it, we will destroy or de-identify the information, if it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
The primary purpose for which we hold information
- The primary purpose for which we collect information is to enable us to perform our business activities and functions and to provide best possible quality customer service. In particular:
- we collect information to enable us to provide products and services in connection with online education;
- we collect information to provide advice to customers and prospective customers with respect to online education and iCollege matters;
- we collect information to tailor our materials and website to the needs of our members/customers;
- we obtain information to assist us with marketing the products and services of the iCollege;
- we collect information to enable us to advise our members/customers of additional information or services supplied by us (or by third parties) that may be of interest to them;
- we provide personal information to our contractors, who provide us with services to assist us with conducting our business;
- we collect information to enable us to efficiently manage our business;
- we collect information to assist with our delivery of products and services via the internet;
- we collect information for research and statistical purposes.
- You have the right to refuse to provide us with personal information. However, if you decide not to do so, we may be unable to provide you with our products and services.
Disclosure of personal information
- In general, we do not use or disclose your personal information for a purpose other than:
- a purpose you would reasonably expect;
- a purpose required or permitted by law; or
- a purpose otherwise disclosed to you to which you have consented.
- We may disclose your personal information to other organisations, for example to our related companies (if any), external service providers such as accountants, lawyers, auditors, research consultants, IT system service providers and government or regulatory authorities (including but not limited to the Department of Industry where the iCollege creates your mandatory Unique Student Identifier on your behalf) where required or permitted by law.
- In the case of a breach of the terms and conditions of our website, we reserve the right to provide the details of the offender to the appropriate association or client for any action they wish to take regarding the breach.
Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
- It is likely that we will disclose your personal information to overseas recipients (e.g. data storage services), when that disclosure is consistent with the purpose set out above.
- Overseas recipients may be located in a country which does not have privacy laws that provide the same level of privacy protection as in your country. We will make every reasonable effort in the circumstances to ensure that overseas recipients handle your personal information in accordance with applicable APP’s.
Right to gain access to personal information held by us
- You may request access to the personal information we hold about you by contacting the iCollege support services by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject to any exemptions under any relevant privacy laws and subject to you providing sufficient proof your identity, we will provide you access to information that it holds about you. Subject to any relevant privacy laws, we reserve the right to charge a fee for the provision of this information based on the administrative cost of supplying the information requested. Further details as to these costs and the ability to access information held by us can be obtained by contacting the iCollege support services by email at email@example.com.
- We will deal with your request for access within a reasonable time. Should we believe that we are entitled to refuse your request to access information we will provide written reasons for our decision and the relevant provisions of the relevant privacy legislation that we rely on to refuse access.
Accuracy of personal information held by us
- We will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect is accurate, up-to-date and complete. We will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we use or disclose is accurate, up-to-date, complete and relevant. Where we believe that the personal information is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, we will take reasonable steps to correct that information.
- If you believe that information we hold about you is incorrect you are entitled to request, by contacting the iCollege support services by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, that we correct that information. We will take reasonable steps to correct the information to ensure that it is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
- We will deal with your request to correct personal information within a reasonable time. Should we believe that we are entitled to refuse your request to make corrections we will provide written reasons for our decision.
Security of personal information held by us
- We hold your personal information in paper-based and electronic form. We are required to take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information kept in our files is protected from misuse, interference and loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- When we no longer require your personal information (including when we are no longer required by law to keep records relating to you), we ensure that it is destroyed or de-identified.
- This section explains how we handle personal information collected from our website. If you have any questions or concerns about transmitting your personal information via the internet, you may contact us using the contact details provided above, as there are other ways for you to provide us with your personal information.
Visiting our website
- Anytime you access an unsecured part of our website, that is, a public page that does not require you to log on, we will collect information about your visit, such as:
- the time and date of the visit;
- any information or documentation that you download;
- your browser type; and
- your server address.
- Whenever you use our website, and many other websites, the computer on which the web pages are stored (the web server) needs to know the network address of your computer so that it can send the requested web pages to your internet browser. The unique network address of your computer is called its “IP address” and is sent automatically each time you access any internet site. From a computer’s IP address, it is possible to determine the general geographic location of that computer, but otherwise it is anonymous.
- We do not keep a record of the IP addresses from which users access its site except where the user has specifically provided it with information about itself, in which case we also record the user’s IP address for security purposes.
- When we receive emails, we will retain the content of the email and our response to you where we consider it necessary to do so. ?Your email address will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which is was provided. It will not be added to any mailing lists or used for any other purpose without your consent.
- We make reasonable efforts to ensure that the most up-to-date security measures are used on our website to protect your personal information. Any data containing personal information which we transmit via the internet is encrypted. However, we cannot guarantee that any information transmitted via the internet by us, or yourself, is entirely secure. You use our website at your own risk.
Links on our website
- Should any person wish to obtain further information with respect to the type of personal information we hold, the purposes for which we use that information and/or the way in which we manage that information, please contact the iCollege support services at email@example.com.
- As part of our functions and business activities and to promote the services we can provide to you, we may use your personal information that you have provided to us for the purposes of direct marketing. Direct marketing includes but is not limited to, sending to you and/or contacting you in relation to promotions and information about our products and services.
- Most of our email-based services to our members are “opt-in”. You may opt out at any time if you no longer wish to receive marketing information. You can opt out of receiving direct marketing communications by sending an email to the iCollege support services at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by “unsubscribing” from email marketing messages.
Questions and complaints
- Once a complaint has been lodged, the iCollege support services will respond to you as soon as possible.